17th April 2016
I’m not a huge baker, but when I do decide to make a dessert I try to make it at least a little bit healthy.
Green Kitchen Stories is my favorite site to use when baking and their Lemon Tart does not disappoint!
The ingredients are staples that I always have in my kitchen, so this tart is perfect to satiate my sweet tooth when the mood strikes!
Pie Crust (gluten free)
- 200 g mixed nuts (I used almonds and cashews)
- 10 fresh dates
- 100 g cold butter
- 2/5 cup (55 g) quinoa flour (can also use almond or buckwheat)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
Custard Filling (sugar free)
- 75 g butter
- 1 1/3 cup milk (can also use soy or almond)
- 1 vanilla pod
- 2 small lemons (juice and zest)
- 6 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp corn starch
- Making the crust: Mix nuts and dates in a blender for about a minute (it’s ok if the nuts aren’t completely grinded) and pour the mixture in a bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the bowl together with the rest of the ingredients. Use your hands to work the pastry. Coat the bottom of a 9” tart pan with some butter, and distribute the pastry evenly on the bottom and the sides. Prick the pan with fork and put it in the fridge for about 20 minutes while you make the custard.
- Making the custard: Heat butter, soy milk and vanilla pod in a saucepan on medium heat. Add lemon juice, zest and agave syrup. Bring to a boil while stirring, then lower the temperature and let it simmer for about five minutes. Remove the vanilla pod, set aside and let it cool. Whisk egg yolks, egg and corn starch with a manual whisk in a large mixing bowl for a couple of minutes, then add the lemon mixture while whisking.
- Pour the custard into the tart pan and bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes. The tart crust can easily get burnt so keep an eye on the oven. Let it cool before serving.
23rd June 2015
I love sweet breads. I already posted my go-to recipe for banana bread, now it’s time for Almond Date Bread!
This recipe was given to me from my sister-in-law Sofie. She made it me for once a couple of years ago, and I had to have the recipe!
The ingredients are so simple and the recipe so easy. And the best part is, I don’t feel guilty eating a few slices in the morning or after dinner.
Almond Date Bread
- 1 cup dates
- 1 cup almonds
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or other sweetner
- 1/2 vanilla bean scraped
- 4 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 175 C/350 F. Grind the dates and almonds until they’re the size of bread crumbs.
- Combine ground almonds and dates with cinnamon, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Separate the eggs. Add the egg yolks to the date and almond mixture and stir to combine.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, then mix with the rest until you can’t see the egg whites anymore.
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper and pour the mixture in. Bake for 35 minutes.