29th January 2015
I really love pickling vegetables. It is so easy and instantly enhances a dish!
This recipe is from The Sprouted Kitchen cookbook. Quick pickled onions are a delicious and colorful addition to salads, tacos, and sandwiches! The red onions are combined with vinegar, maple syrup, and cloves to create a sweet and tangy flavor explosion.
Quick Pickled Onions
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- In a saucepan, combine the vinegar, salt, sugar, bay leaf, and cloves and bring to a gentle boil over medium high heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the onion, stir, and remove the pan from the heat.
- Let the onions cool at room temperature, or transfer it all to a glass jar and put them in the fridge to speed the process along (about 15 minutes).
- Add desired amount to your salad, sandwich, or taco and enjoy! The pickled onions stay good for about a week in the fridge.