1st December 2015
When I was in the supermarket a couple of months ago, I spotted colorful pearl onions and couldn’t resist buying them.
My husband and I love to have pickled onions in the house – they’re a perfect accent flavor! You can eat them whole alongside fried fish, sliced in a taco or a sandwich, or just as a snack.
I’ve already shared my recipe for pickled red onions. Now it’s time for pearl onions!
Pickling onions is very easy. You just have to be a bit patient, but after 3 weeks they’re ready to eat!
Pickled Pearl Onions
- 500g pearl onions
- 2 cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 half inch strips of lemon peel
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Boil the onions over high heat for 4 minutes. Drain and let cool. When the onions are cool enough to handle, slip off their skins. The peels will come off very easily.
- Add the 2 cloves, 1/4 teaspoon of mustard seeds and 2 strips of lemon zest to each jar. Then pack the onions into the jar.
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, vinegar, sugar and salt and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Pour the brine over the onions to cover. Let cool, then seal the jars and refrigerate the onions for at least 3 weeks.