28th August 2016
I love the My New Roots cookbook! I received it for Sinterklaas from my sister-in-law and love making all of the delicious nutritious plant-based recipes.
Every week I receive a bag of fresh vegetables from local farms, and this week included zucchini and green onions – so what better than a grilled salad with this hot weather? And I do mean hot! It’s been around 90 degrees all week!
I made this salad for a fresh lunch for Koen and me – so delicioso!
Grilled Zucchini and Spring Onions with Baby Spinach and Almonds, serves 2
- 1-2 zucchini, depending on how hungry you are
- Butter, coconut oil, or ghee
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium spring onions
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 fresh chile ( I didn’t have any on hand, so I used a few drops of hot sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- Grated zest of 1 1/2 lemons
- Few handfuls baby spinach
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted (I used almonds because it’s all I had on hand)
- Heat a grill pan
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise into thin ribbons. Lightly rub melted oil on the slices and season lightly with salt and pepper. Slice the green onions in the same manner.
- When the grill pan is hot, lay the zucchini and green onions on the pan and cook uncovered until you have some char marks on the underside, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip them over and cook until tender and marked, another 2 minutes. Remove the vegetabels from the grill pan and place them on a plate.
- Whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, chile, maple syrup, and grated zest of 1 lemon in a small bowl. Put the spinach in a serving bowl, and pour this dressing over it; toss to combine.
- Roughly chop the nuts. Arrange the grilled veggies on top of the spinach. Sprinkle with the nuts and the remaining lemon zest, and serve.