30th June 2015
It’s rhubarb season again! Can’t get enough of the tangy taste? My New Root’s Chia Rhubarb Muffins are a great way to enjoy them!
These muffins are delicious and filling for breakfast and sweet enough to enjoy after dinner. The Chia Rubarb Muffins are guilt-free. No added sugar, and the chia seeds add a ton of energizing nutrients!
I love the added “crumble” on top. The mixture of pumpkin seeds and oats adds a nice crunch.
Chia Rhubarb Muffins, makes 20 mini muffins
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds and 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1 1/4 cup finely chopped rhubarb
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- Toppings – oats and pumpkins seeds
- Combine chia seeds and water in a glass and set aside for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/ 175 C. Line a muffin pan with liners if needed
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt until combined.
- In another bowl, add the chia seed gel, olive oil, maple syrup, orange juice and vanilla. Whisk until smooth by hand. Add to the flour mixture and blend just until moistened but lumpy. Stir in the rhubarb and apricots.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling each cup about 2/3 full. Sprinkle the topping onto each muffin and bake until springy to the touch, about 15 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.