6th January 2015
Apple cider vinegar is so easy and inexpensive to make. You just need patience. It takes about 2 euros and 5 minutes to prepare. Then you just wait for 2-3 months. Simple!
I use the Homemade Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar recipe from Tales of a Kitchen.
Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 apples
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or other raw sugar
- Filtered water to cover
- Wash and chop apples into medium sized pieces. Place them in a clean wide mouth jar.
- Mix the sugar with 1 cup of water and pour on top of the apples. Add more water if needed to completely cover the apples.
- Cover the jar with a paper towel or a cheesecloth and secure it with a band. This keeps things from falling into the jar while letting the liquid breathe.
- Place the jar in a warm, dark place for 2-3 weeks.
- Strain out the liquid and discard the apple pieces.
- Return the liquid to the same jar and cover it again with a paper towl or a cheesecloth.
- Return the jar to the same warm, dark place for roughly 4 to 6 weeks, stirring every few days or so.
- After the first 4 weeks, you can begin to taste the vinegar and once it reaches an acidity you like, you can transfer it to a bottle with a lid and begin using it.